Thank you to all our 2016 contestants.
The standard of food was incredible!
If you missed the competition this year we’d love to see you next year, think of all the time you’ll have to practice! You can register your interest below and we’ll let you know when the applications are available.
WERE BACK FOR 2017
And if you don’t know what the Jerk-Off is all about yet . . .
Are you a gourmet at the grill? Do you have the secret ingredient?
Do you think you’ve got what it takes?
Then the Jerk-Off Competition is for you
Contestants will battle to win a handmade jerk pan in our custom made boxing ring in the middle of the festival arena.
Our Caribbean BBQ connoisseurs are preparing to put you to the test, and engage you in culinary combat . . .
Here’s what you need to know
- Despite the name of the festival you meat does not have to be Caribbean. As long as its well spiced and interesting we’re gonna be into it.
- Your dish needs to be given a fun Nickname, for example our reigning champ Ben cooked Venison last year and called it… Yep, Benison. We’ve served up “Bobs Bad Boy Beef” in the past and countless others.
- Each cook will enter the ring accompanied by music of their choosing which will be blasted through the P.A. as they are introduced.
- A deposit of £30 will be required to secure one of the cooking slots. This will be returned on the day.
- We will provide the meat but contestants must supply any additional ingredients for any marinades, spice rubs and accompaniments.
- Each cook’s time slot will be 45mins, in which they will cook their pre marinated meat from raw (minimum 100 portions).
- The food will be distributed amongst the crowd who will submit their favourite entry into a ballot box from which the winner will be determined at the end of the cooking session.
- The prize for the winner will be a nice cash prize.
May the best Chef win!
White Men Can’t Jerk began life as a monthly party and cook out in 2012; an excuse for us to get together with our friends, play our favourite records and enjoy decent food in our local pub.
Since then WMCJ has grown into a successful street food vendor, event caterer and private catering company. We’ve loved pitching up residencies at The Victoria Mile End, Dalston Roof Park, Turntables , and Street Feast, and feel privileged to have worked with people like London Warehouse Events, Regulate, ASOS, Boxfresh, Hackney Empire and Basement Jaxx. Outside of London we’ve cooked up a storm at festivals across the UK; and in 2014 we were invited to compete in the London Jerk Cook Off against some of the most established names in Caribbean food.
We pride ourselves on bringing you bold flavour combinations and feel good vibes. Our food is a love of all things Caribbean, with a twist. Think Curried Mutton Shepherd’s Pie with a sweet potato mash topping, Red Stripe poached Fried Chicken Wings, and signature Jerk Chicken cooked on our custom made smoking grill, Tallulah. Looking after the herbivores, we have Jerk Bean Burgers, Jerk Halloumi and Tobago Casserole.
All this and we’re only just getting started!
Tom and Max, the pit masters at Southamptons Sadlers Smoke house are
dragging themselves away from their bona fide, real deal, Oklahoma smoker
where they cook up their mouth-watering, queue for a mile, BBQ.
They are gonna be running the ring this year and, boy, do these pros run a tight
ship.They’ll be bringing their vast wealth and knowledge as true connoisseurs of
the coals into the arena and will oversee the contestants, in order to
ensure that the free food for you lot get to enjoy is cooked to perfection
and bang on time.
They’ll be joined by London jerk junkies, WMCJ (White men can’t Jerk) who
are making big moves on the capitals huge pop-up catering scene. They’re
coming down to see how we do it in the sunny south, so don’t let us down
crew. We needs to REPRESENT!
They’ll be spinning music in the ring and no doubt sharing some of their
expertise with cooks and crowd alike.Unlike previous years, our unique brand of culinary combat will be taking
place in the new covered, Caribbean village area which we cannot wait to
unveil to you all.
So come on Jerk Jammers!
Just writing this has made us hungry. Think what its gonna be like when